Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.....

    https://www.biddergy.com/detail.asp?...istic-Speakers

    I'm thinking of buying/bidding on these, assuming they're 816 cabinets with replacement woofers. The size listed is wrong for an 816, but this auction house is particularly bad with descriptions, so I don't necessarily trust them. I don't really want to drive there, to check either.

    Googling, I think the woofers are Radio Shack replacement woofers, but I didn't get any idea of size. My only concern with the woofers would be to use as a gauge for the cabinet size........ I'm after 816 cabinets, not rat shack woofers.

    Opinions?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.....


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.

    Dimensions have to be wrong they are bdeeper than they are tall. If it's the original 40-1315 orange/black not bad for a cheapie Utah. Later all black not as good.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Dimensions have to be wrong they are bdeeper than they are tall. If it's the original 40-1315 orange/black not bad for a cheapie Utah. Later all black not as good.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.

    Woofer in the left cabinet is a 421. Absolutely agree with OG about the woofer on the right.

    They look like properly executed 816A's to me.

    Heck, from the right angle it looks like theater gray overspray deep in the ports.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Woofer in the left cabinet is a 421. Absolutely agree with OG about the woofer on the right.

    They look like properly executed 816A's to me.

    Heck, from the right angle it looks like theater gray overspray deep in the ports.
    Well, if one's a 421, then that could mean the back is missing on the one they got "Radio Shack" from. They do not dig for information when writing the descriptions.

    I noticed some warpage in one panel in the port area. Yes, I see that grey, too.

    Maybe I'll go take a look. I hate to drive over twice, but I don't want to get surprised after being the winning bidder, either.

    Thank you guys for looking, for me.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.....


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.

    Wondering if they only opened one.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Wondering if they only opened one.
    I doubt they'd open one at all. Must be consignor information, or partial information. I went ahead and made the trip over there. Both back panels are present. Now, it's more obvious to me that the woofers are different. I simply don't pick up all the little details that some of you guys do. Both cabinets are rough, but look pretty solid. They're chip board of some type so corners are gone, but I don't see water damage. They definitely look Altec grey on the bottoms, The rest were painted gloss black at some time. There's no sign of an Altec badge. I expected to see 4 holes where it used to be, but I didn't see any. Only holes where casters used to be screwed down.

    Other than shoddy workmanship, what would point to homebuilt cabinets? I think these are Altec cabinets, but when it comes to the finer points I'm lost.

    I think I'm going to make a go for these. I hope these will go cheap, and there's a good chance they will. I'm not really a fan of chip board, but I'd rather have these than the empty organ tone cabinets that I currently have in the livingroom. I meant to put drivers in them, but lost my enthusiasm for the project, since it was a kind of project driven by part availability.

    If anyone here is interested and local to the auction, please PM me, so that we can hopefully work together and not against each other.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.

    Well, I got outbid. Auction closed at $76. They'll be a buyers premium and tax on top of that. I couln't see going higher for a rough pair of cabinets with one Altec MI driver.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.

    Oh well, something better will surely turn up, I would be looking for an empty 825 A7 cabinets personally. It looks like the left side of the top panel of the left cabinet is warped anyway.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ok, at the risk of screwing myself out of some speakers.

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    Oh well, something better will surely turn up, I would be looking for an empty 825 A7 cabinets personally. It looks like the left side of the top panel of the left cabinet is warped anyway.
    Yes, I'm hoping something a bit better will come along. I actually like the size of the 816. I did have some empty 828s that I eventually sold. I do love the look of the vertical slot 825s, Though. I'd put up with the size for those, in my small livingroom.

    Yes that panel was slightly warped.

    I'm also telling myself that I have things I'm not using. For instance my Altec 835A Monterey Jr. pair. I should probably pull those out, and use them. I'll rotate the Jensens Triettes to storage. I probably should sell some stuff too. I've got many un-done, or potential projects.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.